Doodles in the margin from an artist living and working in the Scottish Borders.

Thursday 10 March 2011

Rust Never Sleeps 5: H*3



H*3, oil on board, 18" x 24".


I know at least one person has been waiting for this, so here it finally is. More rust.

Another one from the rich seam of colour, font and rust at Eyemouth harbour. I've got three more canvasses roughed out and ready to go.

I added the diagonal shadow at a very late stage on this, and it suddenly made the whole painting make sense. It's difficult to give a sense of perspective and depth on what is obviously a flat surface, but the shadow just made it 'leap' somehow.

I was looking through some estate agency auction materials from the mid 1830s today - handbills, posters, lithographic prints, maps etc., which was a very exciting thing for a history and font nerd. I got some interesting ideas, not unconnected with the fishing boat work, which I'm quite excited about. Hopefully something will come of it. More rust first, though.

2 comments:

  1. Wonderful - sunshine, shadow and rust! Very fine indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! There's more on the way...

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails